Dreambox error message : Switch: Service could not be found

First a little bit about my config : I am connected to 2 satellites (Astra and Hotbird) so I can receive CanalSatellite and the Swiss TV channels.

A couple of weeks ago I started getting this error message when switching from one channel to another although the strength and quality of the signal were very good. When I rebooted my 7020, sometimes the problem went away but sometimes it didn’t, furthermore the problem seemed to occur when I moved from Hotbird to Astra (or vice-versa). When I checked online most of the posts suggested a problem with the LNB / DiSEqC setting or other hardware related problem. Some also suggested a problem with the Dreambox’s tuner.

Since I have another DB connected to the same dish that was working fine I thought the problem lied with the actual Dreambox and  dismissed posts suggesting problems with the dish hardware configuration.

I re-scanned the satellites, I bought a new cable to connect from the dish to the DB, I reinstalled the image, in fact I installed several images using FlashWizardPro (which you can find here amongst other sites) but…Same thing : the problem went away momentarily but very soon the dreaded  “Switch: Service could not be found” message reappeared. Arrgh ! At this point I thought my hardware tuner was dying and decided to buy a new Dreambox.

I unpacked it and installed it. Sure enough the problem went away. For a few weeks.

It reappeared last month ! With a vengeance I must say. At that time I started losing more and more  channels  (Arte, France 2 and some others). This was really odd because my other Dreambox was still ok ! What could it be ? I did reinstall everything, in fact I had a complete new box and yet the same exact problem occured…

Well, I still can’t explain it all but today everything is back to normal and I even recovered my lost channels ! What did I do ? Well I recreated my Satellite.xml file (it holds the different satellite positions and the services that are installed on them) and reinstalled the channels settings using Dreamset Editor. Previously I relied on Dreamboxedit to manage my satellite channels from my PC (creating channels Bouquets and managing them from the Dreambox is really painful you see).

This seems to have solved everything !

Procedure :

  1. Go to satellite.xml .eu to generate the satellite.xml for your dreambox (only choose the satellites you need, in my case Astra 1H/1KR/1L/1M/Türksat 1C (19.2E) and Hot Bird 6/8/9 (13.0E))
  2. Put the file in /etc/tuxbox directory (for a Gemini image) on your Dreambox using Dreambox Control Center (or any FTP tool, but DCC is useful for other Dreambox-related things too)
  3. Grab the correct bouquet structure from the great Opensettings website
  4. Apply them using Dreamset settings editor. Use their startup FAQ to quickly configure the program : the firmware for a DM7020 is Enigma 109 :-)
  5. Still using Dreamset, re-add the missing channels

Voilà, a working Dreambox again !

About these ads

2 Responses to Dreambox error message : Switch: Service could not be found

  1. Marius says:

    Thanks a lot for this helpful blog! Thanks a million!! :-D

  2. john says:

    pl can u upload a link for firmware DM7020si Enigma 109

    (Grab the correct bouquet structure from the great Opensettings website: http://www.open-settings.com/forum/index.php)
    but this website is not in english, so i can’t take help from this website http://www.open-settings.com/forum/index.php)
    thanks

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: